Once you have been accepted into the Photography Program the next step is to go through the Interview. Details about the interviews, dates and times, will be emailed to applicants starting in May. Read below to prep yourself for your interview.
Why Are There Interviews?
First and foremost we would like to get to know you and your expectations of the program. Why you are attending, career goals, level of experience and your needs. The quicker and the more we can learn about you the more we can help guide you on your path at the college and in the program. These are mandatory and we find that they are helpful for both Students and Faculty.
What Is the Format of the INTERVIEWs?
The interviews usually last about 20 minutes, they are informal. We ask you some questions and hope that you have questions for us too. Also Faculty members will be on hand before and/or after your interview to tour you around the facilities and show you some of the gear you will be using while in the program.
Where are the interviews?
All the interviews are held in the Program area A147f, in the A Building on campus, and will be conducted by one of the Program Coordinators or Faculty (Click For College Map).
Out of Town and Can't Make the Interviews?
We do livestream interviews using either, Skype, FaceTime or Facebook Instant Messenger. Please just note that when you book your interview. The booking site for the interviews will be posted soon.
Do I Need A Portfolio?
No, but many people bring them in for us to look at. We enjoy looking at images especially images created by people passionate about image making. Feel free to bring a printed or digital one in if you feel it is appropriate.
WHAT Questions WIll You Be Asking?
Well for starters why did you pick the Algonquin Photography Program? Other questions we like to ask:
- Do you have a favourite photographer, style or genre?
- Have you ever worked for a photographer or done photographic work for a client?
- Do you have a portfolio, does your portfolio have a theme or influence?
- What camera systems have you used, Nikon, Canon, etc.?
- Have you used a Mac computer before and have you purchased yours yet?
- Did you have a learning plan in high school, do you need an academic accommodation?
- Have you done any research about the Photographic Industry?
- Have you been to one of our Student Exhibitions or talked with an Alumni about the program?
- Have you visited our site and read the FAQ?
- Do you know that most photographers working today are self-employed?
What do you want to do when you graduate?